The following are the usual steps for terminology creation:
1. Propose the Development of a terminology
2. Define Community of Interest for the terminology
3. Create Governance Board
4. Develop a charter (scope, level of effort, collaboration process, workflow, and approval process). This charter is the responsibility of the Governance Board.
5. Create Draft terminology
6. Validate Draft terminology with Community of Interest
7. Resolve issues
8. Revise Terminology
9. Adopt terminology. This is the responsibility of the Governance Board.
10. Post the Terminology as "approved" in the terminology tool
11. Announce the Terminology to the Community of Interest
12. Adopt schedule and procedures for maintenance. This is the responsibility of the Governance Board.
Please see our Best Practices in Terminology Development and Management guide at http://ofmpub.epa.gov/sor_internet/registry/termreg/outreachandeducation/educationalresources/manuals/